We went on an out of this world Kayaking trip in Valdez. We got our gear and headed out to sea. It was pouring and we kept reassuring ourselves that we were complete water-resistant in our gear. We saw orka whales swimming in a pod close to our boat which was spectacular. Amazingly enough, when we got to the kayaking spot, the sun came out just in time for our sightseeing. We spent the next several hours paddling through the ice chunks that had calved off the glacier. Some were bigger than our house, even our church and that was just above water. We were told that 90% of the ice would be underneath the surface of the water. We could hear cracking as we paddled around as chunks of ice would break and fall off into the water. Bruce and I were headed toward a big ice at one point (our guides had told us not to get to close in case ice fell and the pull of the water could pull the canoe into dangerous situations) and I told Bruce I didn't think we should go any closer. Just then a huge crack and a huge piece of ice broke off and fell into the water. I started back paddling scared. It was amazing and a little frightening, but awesome to view so close up.
