



Bruce and I were asked to be a "Ma and Pa" on TREK this year. We were willing but I am not sure that excitement was part of the equation. We were happy about being able to go with Megan though. It was a tough 3 days of dirt and grime, walking, wind, camping yet in hind sight an amazing experience. The part that touched me the most and where I unmistakably felt the spirit came during the women's pull. The four girls in our "family" and myself were required to push and pull the handcart 1.5 miles basically all uphill. Tears welled up in my eyes as I thought of these women who were left to make it to Zion on their own and I couldn't help think of my own personal trek through life as we went. Truly these women could have given up and said it was too hard but they continued to push forward with hope and faith that they would eventually get to their destination. I thought of the hills and valleys in my own life...sometimes it truly seems like too much and I don't know how I can take another step. I too can sit down and give up or take it a step at a time and hope with faith that I can get up the next hill, hopefully enjoy the level part or even the downward slope before the next hill. It was awesome to look over the valley and see the hills and plains and look toward our destination. I thought of life with it's ups and downs and hope that I have the faith to make it with my family to my desired destination, back to live with our Father in Heaven.
Our great friends the Davis' were also asked to be "Ma and Pa" on the TREK. Macey was able to come along too. It was fun to plan and prepare with them and then experience the whole trip together!
Our stake called our TREK the 3rd rescue. The first rescue came when the saints from the valley came and physically rescues the starving handcart pioneers from Wyoming, the second came when a Wyoming stake did all the temple work for those in the Willey and Martin Handcart Companies, and the third was to happen on our TREK with the hopes that we would find it in ourselves to be rescued spiritually. I felt the spirit touch my heart to try harder to be true to the gospel and value that which is most important. It was a fabulous experience! I would willingly go again.
No comments:
Post a Comment