Monday, August 9, 2010

Icy Strait, Alaska







Our second stop was at Icy Strait. It was originally a fishing village. We walked around the former canning factory which is a lot like a museum. Next we took a nature trail through the rain forest. I have to say it is amazing to see how dense, thick and green it is. Thimble berries were everywhere,and I had a little snack (I did ask if they were OK to eat). FYI - they look like raspberries but are quite tart - I was a little surprised. Then we took a bike ride to the city of Hoonah. We had a few stops where they gave us tribal heritage and statistics. I love history and riding bikes so I found it facinating and fun. Afterward, we went with our friends to the worlds longest zip-line. It is over a mile long. The view from the top were amazing, but when it came time to ride down, the clouds had rolled in and it had started to sprinkle. It was a thrill.

No comments: